Sunday, February 24, 2008

XBLA Size Restrictions Still Hampering Developers

It was barely a year ago that Microsoft increased the size limit on XBLA titles from a paltry 50MB to a slightly less paltry 150MB. That 150MB is proving to not be enough for more ambitious XBLA titles like Capcom's Bionic Commando ReArmed and Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix. Due to this limit, Bionic Commando will be graphically inferior to its Playstation 3 counterpart because they simply don't have room for high resolution textures.

Microsoft is playing dumb, citing recent games like Undertow, RezHD and, of all things, Poker Smash, as perfect examples as to why 150MB should be enough. Look, I love Rez more than the average person, but the game is made of wireframes. Textures are pretty much nonexistent in the game.

Look, MS, you really need to give dispensations to major games like these, especially when they are appearing on your competitors console as well. If Bionic Commando is going to be 300MB on PS3, you need to give Capcom the same for XBLA.

I have both systems and while I prefer to play on my 360, I'll have no problem buying ReArmed on PSN if it is the better version. You may have a stranglehold on people with online titles because PS3's online sucks, but I really don't care whether I play a single player game on my 360 or my PS3.

I'm getting pretty tired of the 360 being dragged down by not having a hard drive. It's only exacerbated by the fact that MS is charging $50 for a 512MB memory card. I just bought a 4GB Memory Stick Pro Duo for my PSP for $40 a few weeks ago (which, incidentally, I can use on my PS3)!

What's really ironic is that the upcoming WiiWare title Eternity's Child was originally supposed to be on XBLA but the creator had to scrap it because of the size limit. So now the game is going to be on a system that only has 512MB of memory in it. What's wrong with this picture?

[via 1up]

No comments: