Friday, January 26, 2007

PS3 does have a hardware scaler?

Gaming-Age has reported on a story originating at Beyond3D, proving conclusively that my claims in yesterday's post regarding the system's lack of a scaler are complete bullshit. Or are they?

Apparently the system has had a scaler all along, secreted away in some dark, seedy underbelly of the PS3 motherboard, no doubt part of a massive Sony conspiracy to actually support 1080i...someday.

Personally, I'm still a little skeptical. It seems like Sony is putting together scaler support through software revision, which I commend them for. It shouldn't have ever been an issue to begin with but at least they are trying to fix it. It just doesn't make sense that there is actually a hardware scaler in the system on the level of what is in the 360 and they are just slowly allowing access to it. If there was a dedicated scaler, why introduce a work-around method now?

What's even more confusing is that while 1080i TV owners can only play the vast majority of PS3 games at 480p, 720p TV owners can only watch Blu-Ray movies at 1080i. This kind of thing really demonstrates that even with an extra year of development time the PS3 was very much slapped together. It just reeks of too many cooks in the kitchen.

I'm relieved at the possibility that playing games in HD on my PS3 might not involve an expensive external scaler box or, even worse, a new TV, but I'm baffled as to why Sony would keep a rather crucial feature hidden away. If you can do 1080i, DO IT.

Seeing as virtually every major exclusive Sony had for the PS3 has either been confirmed for release on the 360 (Virtua Fighter 5, Unreal Tournament 3, Assassin's Creed, GTAIV) or is extremely likely to be announced for it soon (Metal Gear Solid 4, Devil May Cry 4, Mercenaries 2) the most important factor for me is, as long as Final Fantasy XIII (and Versus) is playable in 1080i, by the time they see a US release in late 2008, I'm good. I don't care whether it actually has a scaler chip inside or if Keebler elves living inside the A/V port redraw the 720p image with a magic paintbrush.

Then again, by then I probably will have a new TV anyway, so what the hell am I complaining about?

It'd be nice to be able to play Resistance in something higher than 480p on a system I shelled out $650 for, is really all I'm trying to say. Seriously, I just want to know if my system actually works...for all I know the thing could be DOA.


Source: PlayStation 3 Hardware Scaler Exposed - GamingAge

No comments: