Monday, March 3, 2008

The Games of March, Weeks One and Two

March always tends to be the next major release month after the holiday glut and this year is no exception. After a new year filled with B-titles and a number of bigger titles I was personally looking forward to that failed to impress, March promises to finally deliver some satisfaction. There is at least one, and in some cases two games I'm interested in every week of the month. Why does it always have to be like this?

The first week of March we have Bully: Scholarship Edition and Army of Two. The former I always wanted to try but it came out on PS2 during the last holiday season and the 360 was really starting to flourish so it fell by the wayside. Army of Two I'm hoping will be cool but I have my doubts. It's well known that the game was finished last Fall but was postponed after reviewers got final review code and were giving EA feedback that the game sucked. Was an extra 6 months in development enough to salvage the game? Let's hope so, because solid games built around 2 player co-op are few and far between.

God of War fans also have the PSP exclusive Chains of Olympus to look forward to. I never finished God of War I and have yet to play the sequel, but since this is a prequel to those games, maybe I'll give it a try anyway. I liked God of War but stopped playing it for one reason or another...someday I'll finish it.

Speaking of PSP exclusives, the previously PSP-only Silent Hill Origins is coming to the PS2 this week. The game was surprisingly good and while I don't know how well the small screen graphics will hold up on the PS2, it's definitely worth a play through if you're a fan of the series.

Week 2 brings one of my Top 10 Most Anticipated Games of 2008 (TM), Condemned 2: Bloodshot. Thankfully this is also the only significant release of the week. My prediction: I will enjoy Bully but will stop playing it when this comes out and never go back to it.

Condemned 2 is going to be awesome. Monolith is a great developer but the first game was rushed to make the 360's launch and it had many launch game problems. With 2.5 years between then and now, there should be no such issues in the sequel. I just hope the story is a lot more fleshed out this time, and really draws from the detailed universe they created for the franchise. Maybe the newly added multiplayer will actually be worth playing too! That's probably too much to ask for, but hey, a guy can dream.

Oh, Super Smash Bros. Brawl comes out for the Wii this week too, I guess that's kind of significant. I'm actually sort of curious to mess around with it as it seems like there is a ton of stuff to do in the game including a single player side scrolling platformer mode. It's not something I'm dying to play though. If I have an open spot in my Gamefly queue I'll probably rent it.

Stay tuned for my picks for Weeks Three and Four...

No comments: